White bean curry is what happens when lima beans sitting around the pantry are found and put to good use during lockdown times. Well, we often buy ingredients with the hope of making something exotic, especially those we have never tried before. These white beans were bought during our grocery haul a few months ago and then forgotten. Now that the lockdown is on and movement is restricted we started pulling out everything from our pantry to take stock of what we could finish up first and what had a longer shelf life and a bag of white beans is what we found. Since the man had bought it I asked him to make something out of it. A few basic ingredients were tossed along with the beans that were soaked overnight, into the pressure cooker and voila! a beautiful curry happened just like that! We enjoyed it so much with some chapathis. Simple, delicious and nutritious!
Here’s a picture of how the beans looked before they were cooked. It took me a while to figure out the actual name as the label on the pack just said ‘white beans’. These are also called as butter beans. However, you can make this recipe with any white beans or even kidney beans (rajma). Mangaloreans who love tingalavre (which I believe is Navy/Harikot beans) can try this recipe with the same.
We are huge fans of legumes of all kinds so we cook at least one type every week and I am glad that we discovered this new (to us) kind of beans. We loved their smooth & buttery texture and I am definitely going to try different versions of them soon.
Folks, I am sure that almost everyone who is reading this, no matter where you live, is experiencing the lockdown or at least some form of restricted movement. I hope you are safe indoors and that you are managing things better with each passing day. Take care and stay safe!
Love beans? Have you tried these simple recipes?
Gule Sukhe (Black Eyed Beans Sukka)
New here? Subscribe to my free newsletters with my latest recipes!
If you give this recipe a try do leave a comment on this post down below and don’t forget to give it a star rating! It will really help more readers discover my recipes! Don’t forget to check out my latest videos on my YouTube channel. If you like what you see, do give me a thumbs-up (like), share & comment and subscribe to my channel so that the gods of YouTube (a.k.a algorithms) recommend my channel to a wider audience with similar tastes and more & more people can discover my videos!
And while you’re here, do follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. If you’d like to say hello or have detailed queries do send an email at [email protected]. I’d love to hear from you!
Click the image below to save it on Pinterest
White Bean Curry
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup dried white beans
- 1 medium sized onion finely sliced
- 2-3 fat cloves of garlic sliced horizontally
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1 medium tomato roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- oil for frying
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Wash and soak the white beans in plenty of water for at least 6-8 hours, overnight is best. Then discard the water and rinse once. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and fry the onion till golden brown. Then add the sliced garlic and fry for a few seconds before adding the chopped ginger. Let it sizzle before adding the chopped tomato. Fry everything till the tomato turns mushy. Sprinkle some salt to speed up this process
- Reduce the heat and add the chilli powder, turmeric powder & the chaat masala and fry everything well. Add the rinsed white beans and enough water to cover them. Add salt to tase
- Pressure cook for about 7-8 whistles or till tender but not too mushy. Turn off the heat and let the pressure cooker cool down to room temperature.
- Open the pressure cooker and stir once. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve piping hot with chapathis or rice
The nutritional values are only indicative.
Leave a Reply