Here’s a video of how to make the thel piyao with string beans! Hope you enjoy it!
If you liked this video please subscribe to my channel!
Gosalem Thel Piyao
Prep time: 5-8mins | Cook time: 10-12 mins | Serves 2-3
- 250-300gm tender ridge gourd / gosalem / hirekai / turai
- 1 medium sized onion finely sliced
- 1-2 small green chillies slit (adjust to taste)
- 1 small tomato chopped or 3-4 solam or 1 hog plum (ambado)
- 1-2 tbsp oil to drizzle
- 2-3 tbsp freshly grated coconut to garnish (optional)
- salt to taste
1. Wash and peel the ridges off the gourd – do not discard the peel as you can make a chutney out of it (recipe coming up). Cut the gourd vertically and then make thin slices out of it.
2. Transfer the ridge gourd pieces into a pan and add the rest of the ingredients, give it a quick toss and sprinkle just a little (1/4 cup approx) water, cover and cook till the pieces are tender. Stir and sprinkle the grated coconut and allow to boil for a minute or two.
3. Serve hot as a side dish to any main meal.
To speed up the cooking time you may prepare this dish in a pressure cooker. Just ensure that you place the weight (whistle) and turn off the flame when the hissing sound starts – just before the whistle goes off. If you let the whistle blow the vegetable will overcook. Allow the cooker to cook down and loosen up the weight a bit before you open it. Stir once and then add the coconut (if desired), cover for a couple of minutes and allow the steam to cook the coconut a bit. Then you may serve it.