Polay (Yeasted Rice Batter Pancakes)
Soaking time: 3hrs or overnight | Prep time: 15mins | Cooking time: 15-20mins Yield: 17-18 medium sized pancakes
- 1-1/2 cups boiled rice (ukda chawal)
- 1/2 cup raw rice * see notes
- 1/4 cup urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 tsp (or to taste) sugar
To prepare the yeast solution
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp warm water
- oil for frying
1. If you don’t intend to use up all the dough to make polay, you can simply pour it into ramekins (gindlaa) and steam them to make a batch of sanna. If you don’t have ramekins, just pour out the dough into a lightly greased steel plate with tall edges (thaali/boshi) and steam it in one go. You can cut up this large sanna and serve it.
2. Alternately, if you do not wish to steam up the remaining batter into sanna but wish to eat some polay for dinner/refrigerate them for the next day then I suggest you fry up the entire batch and just steam them in a steaming pot/thondor for 5-7 minutes before serving them – they become absolutely fresh and soft.
3. Take a look at my sanna recipe for more tips on how to prepare the perfect batter