Homemade Nutella (Chocolate Hazelnut Spread)
Prep time: 15 – 20 mins | Cook time: Nil | Yield: About 1-1/2 cups
- 2/3rd cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup bitter sweet chocolate chips (I used Hershey’s) or use unsweetened/dark chocolate
- 3/4th cup sweetened condensed milk (I used Milkmaid)
1. Preheat oven to 175 C, spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast for about 10-12 mins. Shake the baking sheet a couple of times during the process – this will help the nuts roast evenly and prevent burning. Remove and allow to cool
2. Transfer them into a nut processor or the dry grinding jar of your mixer and pulse until you get a grainy mixture. Stir – the nuts will stick a lot to the base. Keep pulsing intermittently until the mixture starts to release oil and turns smooth and paste like – scrape the edges of the jar and continue to grind until the mixture is smooth. Depending on the efficiency of the processor blades you may be left with a slightly grainy mixture which is O.K
3. Now melt the chocolate in a double boiler – Place some water in a saucepan and a bowl over it taking care to see that the base of the boil does not touch the water – now add the chocolate into the bowl and let it melt over the simmering water. Take care to see that not a single drop of water gets into the bowl of chocolate or it will immediately turn into a hard and lumpy mess.
4. When the chocolate has melted and looks glossy, add the condensed milk and mix till incorporated.
5. Pour this mixture into the mixer jar, give it a stir and pulse just once or twice until everything is mixed properly. Remember, the more you grind/pulse the thicker the chocolate spread will be! The thicker it is, the harder to spread. Do adjust the consistency by adding additional condensed milk (added one teaspoon at a time)
2. If you don’t find hazelnuts where you live, try making this with almonds. Do remember to blanch them. To blanch, place them in a bowl and pour boiling water over them, cover the bowl and keep aside for 15-20mins after which the skins will peel off easily. Pat dry (completely) and proceed with the rest of the recipe.
3. I bought my stock of hazelnuts from the ‘Iran’ pavillion at the Global Village, Dubai. You can find them at Al Adil Stores too
Recipe Adapted from Oh Nuts