Fig & Almond Muffins ~ Eggless & Dairy Free
Prep time: 15 mins | Bake time: 25 mins | Yield: 12-14 muffins
- 250 grams plain flour * see notes
- 1 teaspoon soda bi carb (baking soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 225 grams raw sugar (unrefined/brown/demerara/soft brown)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 85 grams dried figs, chopped
- 115 grams almonds, coarsely chopped
- 200ml water
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds to decorate
1. Line a 12 cup muffin tray with paper cases. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and mix everything together.
2. In another bowl mix the figs, almonds, oil, water and almond essence together. Add this mixture in two parts into the sifted flour until just mixed. Do not over mix the batter.
3. Fill the muffin cases with the batter about two-thirds full and sprinkle with the chopped almonds.
4. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C and bake for approximately 22-25 minutes or until golden.
5. Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool in the pan for 10-12 minutes. Then place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
1. You may replace part of the plain flour with whole wheat flour or any other flour of your choice.
2. Use melted butter in the place of oil if you don’t want a dairy free version.
Recipe adapted from: Everyday Muffins & Bakes