Since the time I bought a bag of brown basmati rice I’ve been passionately experimenting with it. Simple boiled brown basmati pairs up so beautifully with grilled salmon with some sauteed veggies on the side. It is my comfort food. Slowly I moved on to Chilli Coriander Brown Rice with Mushrooms which was a staple for many weeks before trying out the Pesto Bell Pepper Rice which was very well received at home as the kids love pesto sauce and enjoy it with pasta. This recipe is the third one in my repertoire and I am glad that it turned out good enough to be shared with you. I hope discover more flavour combinations as the weeks go by as brown rice is my absolute favourite.
This dish is perfect for those who are too lazy to cook elaborate meals. If you have a pressure cooker, put it to use (just to cook the brown rice) and your meal will be ready in a jiffy. However, if you want to make this one pot meal using regular white rice (any variety, basmati or not), be my guest. This recipe works well even if you have leftover rice that you want to upcycle.
New here? Subscribe to my free newsletters with my latest recipes!
Tried my recipe? Do leave a comment on this post down below and don’t forget to give it a star rating! It will really help more readers discover my recipes! Do share a picture on Instagram and tag me @ruchikrandhap and I will feature your post in my stories!
Don’t forget to check out my latest videos on my YouTube channel. If you like what you see, do give me a thumbs-up (like), share & comment and subscribe to my channel so that the gods of YouTube (a.k.a algorithms) recommend my channel to a wider audience with similar tastes and more & more people can discover my videos!
And while you’re here, do follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. If you’d like to say hello or have detailed queries do send an email at [email protected]. I’d love to hear from you!
Beetroot Chilli Garlic Brown Rice
- 1 firmly packed cup grated raw beetroot * see notes
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2-1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 2 fat cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small green chilli minced (adjust to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon plain red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons oil
- salt to taste
- Wash the rice in 2-3 changes of water. In a pressure cooker bring the 2-1/2 cups of water to a boil and add the washed rice. Don't add any salt. Cover the cooker, place the weight and on full heat cook for 5-6 whistles. Reduce heat completely to a simmer and let the rice cook for 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the pressure cooker cool down. When the weight (whistle) comes off easily, open, fluff up the rice with a fork and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy based kadai/wok or wide based pan. Fry the garlic and green chilli for a few seconds before adding the chopped onions. Fry till they turn translucent.
- Add the grated beetroot and saute on a medium-high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the red chilli powder and quickly add the chopped coriander and cooked rice, salt to taste and lime juice. Give it a quick mix. If you want to retain the dual shade of the grains then don't mix too much.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
The nutritional values are only indicative.