Prep time: 10mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Serves 2-3
- 1 cup semolina
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1 teaspoon black gram dal (urad dal)
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 carrot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas (I used frozen ones)
- 1/4 cup chopped french beans (optional)
- 1/4 cup cashewnut halves
- salt to taste
- ghee & oil for frying
1. Heat oil & some ghee in a wok or kadai and add the mustard seeds, when they stop spluttering, add the black gram dal and fry for a couple of seconds. Add the cashewnuts and fry on a low heat till they turn golden.
2. Then add the chopped ginger, green chillies and curry leaves and then the green chillies and fry on a slow heat for a few seconds.
2. Add the chopped veggies and stir fry for a minute or so and then add the semolina and fry on a very low heat for about 2-3 minutes. In the meantime bring 2-1/2 cups of water to a boil in another pan.
3. Add the boiling water to the semolina mixture and whisk quickly. Let the mixture start bubbling over before you reduce the flame and cover the pan with a well fitting lid.
4. Cook for a couple of minutes, sprinkle some ghee all over & mix. Let the semolina incorporate the ghee well and turn fluffy
5. Turn off the heat and serve the upma hot, garnish with chopped coriander if desired.