Rava porridge can make for a simple, easy to make and filling breakfast. My daughter loves a slightly drier version now and has enjoyed many a porridge bowl in her infancy. Now that school has finally begun (yayy!) I will be making it more often. I like to add very little sugar as I generally prefer savoury breakfasts but if I am having porridge then just a sprinkle of sugar is used to sweeten it. This is ideal for those who are in a rush in the morning and often skip breakfast. It takes just a few minutes to put it together. Vegans can skip the milk and cook the semolina in water and add some coconut milk for flavour just before taking the pan off the heat
This nutritious & delicious porridge is a great breakfast option because it is simple, quick and very filling. Reduce or skip the sugar and it becomes an ideal baby food for babies aged 9 months & above
- 1/3 cup fine semolina wheat rava
- 1 cardamom pod bruised
- 1 cup water freshly boiled
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- 1 teaspoon ghee or oil
- pinch of salt
- sugar to taste about 3-4 teaspoons for a mildly sweet taste
- Heat ghee in a pan. Toss in the cardamom and let it sizzle for a few seconds
- Add the semolina and roast it for a minute on a low heat
- Add the freshly boiling water and milk and stir continuously to avoid lumps from forming. Add the sugar to taste and the pinch of salt. Mix
- Cover the pan and let the porridge cook on a very low heat for about half minute till it thickens. Take care to see that it does not get scorched.
- When it reaches the desired level of thickness and the grains look transparent, take the pan off the heat. Remove the cardamom pod and serve immediately.
More Baby Food Recipes