are experts at preparing all the necessary health foods that help the new mom regain her health & in turn is beneficial for the well being of the baby.
- 100 grams (1/2 cup+ 1 tablespoon) fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 100 grams (1/2 cup or 120ml) ghee (clarified butter)
- 200 grams (1-1/3 cups) jaggery powdered (see notes)
- 100 grams (2 cups approx) grated coconut
- 200 grams (4 cups) beaten rice (poha/avalakki)
- Wash the fenugreek seeds a couple of times and transfer into a pressure cooker. Add 2-1/2 to 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt and pressure cook for about 6-7 whistles or till the seeds are tender. Allow to cool a bit and then grind to a paste. Keep aside.
- On a griddle/tawa dry roast the beaten rice till the flakes shrink a bit. Remove and keep aside. When they cool, the flakes will turn really crispy and you should be able to crush them to a powder. Add the coconut to the same tawa and roast until it turns pale golden brown (don't brown it too much) - just until you get a nice aroma. Remove.
- In a large heavy bottomed wok/kadhai heat the ghee and add the ground methi paste and fry for 7-8 mins on a medium flame or until the ghee separates from it. Add the powdered jaggery, combine and stir till the jaggery melts and then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the roasted coconut & beaten rice and mix well. Allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container when the mixture has cooled completely.
This preparation can be made in advance (before delivery) and stored in the fridge. Just microwave for 30 seconds before serving. A bowlful of this mixture eaten daily will aid lactation.
The nutritional values are only indicative.