However, as much as I love baking, I dislike some tasks such as powdering the sugar when I run out of caster sugar or beating the eggs and sugar with a manual whisk and waiting for the mixture to turn pale. Slaving over a cake with too many ingredients and too many steps to be followed while standing in a oven hot kitchen is a turn off for me so when I find a recipe that requires minimum effort I jump with joy & try it almost immediately.
This particular recipe was shared by my dear reader Cynthia out of her tried & tested recipe collection. When I saw the title – it said – one bowl coconut cake, I thought that probably it was one of those mug cakes. But later I realised that all you need is a single mixing bowl – everything goes straight into it and then into the baking tin! Makes life so much more simple when you don’t have a million dishes to clean right after a marathon baking session. This recipe has barely any hard-to-find ingredients (it doesn’t even need vanilla extract!) I bookmarked it to be made today as a welcome-back-home cake for my hubby who has been travelling this week. It’s also a sweet trap for him to take over babysitting for our lil son so that I can go shopping for a good few hours tomorrow! Ha ha!
- 1-1/2 cups flour maida
- 1-1/4 cups caster sugar
- 1-1/4 cups shredded coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 125 gms butter melted
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 th cup milk
- Sift the flour with baking powder and salt. Keep it aside
- In a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients except the flour and mix well. Mix the flour in parts so that it is well incorporated.
- Line a 9" round tin with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 45 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before inverting on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before cutting. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or slather it with some Nutella (Chocolate & Hazlenut spread) and enjoy it - If you love eating 'Bounty' the Coconut Chocolate bar - you will love this cake!