Mutton or Beef Soup with Root Vegetables
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20-25 mins | Serves: 4
- 500-600 grams mutton or beef bones
- 3-4 cups of water
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1″ stick cinnamon or cassia bark
- 4-5 fat cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small-medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small beetroot, cut into medium-thick slices
- 1 small carrot, cut into medium-thick slices
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons of oil
- salt to taste
1. Wash the mutton/beef bones and keep aside.
2, Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and toss in the cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
3. Add the chopped garlic and fry for 2-3 seconds. Add the onions too and fry till they turn translucent (pale). Now add the tomatoes and fry them for a bit.
4. Add the salt & pepper, meat bones, chopped coriander and root vegetables. Stir. Let the mixture come to a gentle boil.
5. Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 5-6 whistles. Reduce heat and cook on a sim for another 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Let the cooker cool down a bit till you are able to remove the weight (whistle) easily. Stir again
7. Serve piping hot with a drizzle of ghee if desired and with an accompaniment of croutons or toasted bread.