Delicious and nourishing bone soup with root vegetables is a quick & filling one pot meal that you can put together on a weeknight!
- 500-600 grams mutton or beef bones
- 3-4 cups of water
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 " stick cinnamon or cassia bark
- 4-5 fat cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 small-medium potato peeled and cubed
- 1 small beetroot cut into medium-thick slices
- 1 small carrot cut into medium-thick slices
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder optional
- 1-2 tablespoons of oil
- salt to taste
Wash the mutton/beef bones and keep aside.
2, Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and toss in the cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
Add the chopped garlic and fry for 2-3 seconds. Add the onions too and fry till they turn translucent (pale). Now add the tomatoes and fry them for a bit.
Add the salt & pepper, meat bones, chopped coriander and root vegetables. Stir. Let the mixture come to a gentle boil.
Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 5-6 whistles. Reduce heat and cook on a sim for another 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
Let the cooker cool down a bit till you are able to remove the weight (whistle) easily. Stir again
Serve piping hot with a drizzle of ghee if desired and with an accompaniment of croutons or toasted bread.