Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 5 mins | Serves 2
- 3 big onions thinly sliced
- 3-4 (or to taste) long dry red chillies (Byadge) *see notes
- 1 heaped tablespoon of tamarind paste or thick juice extracted from a small lime size ball of tamarind
- 1-1/2 – 2 cups of water
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan/kadhai and fry the broken dry chillies for a few seconds on a low flame. Ensure not to burn them. Next, add the sliced onions and fry till they turn pale/translucent but not brown.
2. Now add the tamarind paste and the water and mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil and add salt to taste.
3. Serve hot with white or boiled rice.
Deseed the dry red chillies if you wish
The flavour should be predominantly tangy with sutle flavours of the chillies and the onions balanced well by the salt – so adjust this according to your taste.