Marble Cake Recipe
Prep time: 15 mins | Bake time: 45-50mins | Servings 12/10×5 inch loaf *see notes
- 170 grams unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 200 grams /1 cup sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 170 grams / 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, full fat preferred
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 50 grams semi-sweet chocolate * see notes
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Grease and line a 10×5 inch loaf pan with baking parchment. Sift the dry ingredients once – flour, baking soda & baking powder.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (bowl placed over a pan of simmering water) or microwave for a few seconds until it is a smooth paste.
3. In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Add in one egg at a time and beat after each addition.
4. Add the vanilla and mix. Add the dry sifted ingredients in three parts, alternating between yogurt and milk. Stir gently to ensure that everything is mixed properly.
5. Divide the batter into half, to pour the first half into the baking pan. To the other half of the batter mix the cocoa powder and melted chocolate and stir to mix.
6. Pour in the chocolate batter in parts into the loaf pan – basically you need to get a design like a marble effect, so gently punch out the vanilla (white) batter that u previous put in and pour the chocolate or just use a spatula to twirl the batter together in the form of a figure eight. Don’t over mix or you will spoil the design. Smooth out the surface a bit.
7. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 45-50mins or till the skewer inserted comes out clean.
The original recipe was for double the ingredients and a bundt pan was to be used. You may go ahead and double the recipe and use a 10 cup bundt pan. The baking time will need to be increased as well – to approx 55-60 mins or till the skewer inserted comes clean
You may use bitter chocolate if you prefer. I just used semi sweet chocolate chips as I wanted to use them up. Try not to use chocolate with nuts unless you want the nuts in the cake.
Recipe adapted from House of Annie