Prep time: Nil | Frying time: 5-6 mins
- 4-5 leftover idlies (or as many as you like)
- oil for deep frying
1. Cut each idli into 3-4 slices
2. Heat oil for deep frying in a wok/kadhai. Let the heat be on a medium high. When the oil is hot enough gently slide in the pieces of idli without over crowding the pan.
3. Fry until golden brown (use a slotted spoon to flip them around to ensure evenly browned/fried pieces). Drain off excess oil and place the pieces on absorbent kitchen tissues.
4. Serve hot with ketchup or coconut chutney
To test the readiness of the oil dip a wooden skewer or toothpick into the oil
If you have an air fryer you can fry up these idlies with just about 1-2 teaspoons of oil and they will taste just as great -guiltfree and crunchy, however, they may not brown evenly on all sides if you place the pieces in a ceramic bowl.