Godachi Kapi ~ Traditional Mangalorean Brewed Coffee Sweetened with Palm Jaggery
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 25 grams palm jaggery
- 1 level teaspoon of filter coffee powder * see note#2
- hot milk as required
- Place the water & jaggery in a pan/saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil, stir until the jaggery is dissolved.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, add the coffee powder and let it brew for about 10 seconds. Remove pan from heat
- Place the pan slightly tilted (so that the coffee sediment settles down and you can easily pour the clean liquid) for at least 45 mins – 1 hr
- When the sediment has settled down you will be left with clear liquid – without shaking the pan carefully pour it into a serving cup. Add as much hot milk as you want to make a strong or milky coffee. Serve hot!
2. This recipe requires ground coffee powder that needs to be brewed. Do not use instant coffee powders like Nescafe or Bru. Add 2 teaspoons if you like it strong.
3. If you wish, to create a frothy effect pour the prepared coffee from a height into another pan a couple of times and then serve.
The nutritional values are only indicative.
Leave a Reply