Godachi Kapi ~ Traditional Mangalorean Brewed Coffee Sweetened with Palm Jaggery
Prep time: Nil | Brewing time: 2-3 mins | Filtering time: 45mins – 1 hr (at least) Yield: 1 cup
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 1/4 of a palm jaggery roundel (approx 20-25 grams) * adjust to taste
- 1 level teaspoon of filter coffee powder * see note#2
- hot milk as required
1. Place the water & jaggery in a pan/saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil, stir until the jaggery is dissolved.
2. When the water comes to a rolling boil, add the coffee powder and let it brew for about 10 seconds. Remove pan from heat
3. Place the pan slightly tilted (so that the coffee sediment settles down and you can easily pour the clean liquid) for at least 45 mins – 1 hr
4. When the sediment has settled down you will be left with clear liquid – without shaking the pan carefully pour it into a serving cup. Add as much hot milk as you want to make a strong or milky coffee. Serve hot!
1. If you don’t have palm jaggery you can use cane jaggery (regular jaggery)
2. This recipe requires ground coffee powder that needs to be brewed. Do not use instant coffee powders like Nescafe or Bru. Add 2 teaspoons if you like it strong.
3. If you wish, to create a frothy effect pour the prepared coffee from a height into another pan a couple of times and then serve.