Egg Stumbler (Scrambled Eggs with Bread Bites)
Prep time: 5-10mins | Cooking time: 10mins | Serves 2
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 medium sized green chilli finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder * see notes
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin/jeera powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped (for garnishing)
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
1. Break the eggs in a bowl and beat well. Snip the hard edges of the bread and cut them into cubes. Keep aside
2. In a heavy bottomed pan/kadhai, heat the oil and toss in the chopped green chilli and onions and fry till the onions are almost golden. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for a couple of minutes till mushy (add salt at this stage to speed up this process).
3. Add the turmeric, red chilli, pepper and cumin powders and fry on a low heat. Pour in the beaten egg mixture and stir on a medium low flame for about 2-3 minutes taking care to see that they don’t get scorched.
4. When the eggs have cooked just right *see notes, add in the bread cubes and mix gently.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
- You may use white or brown bread as per your choice, ensure that it is fresh but not crumbly.
- Adjust all the spice elements (green chilli, red chilli powder & pepper powder) as per your taste. You can skip the chilli powder if you have low tolerance to spice.
- Eggs need to be cooked just right – neither undercooked nor too dry as the bread needs to absorb the juiciness slightly to give the right taste.
- Make sure you had a wee bit of extra salt because once the bread is added the whole mixture could taste bland – It will be harder to adjust the salt after the bread has been added as the bread can turn soggy soon.
- This dish needs to be prepared and served fresh and piping hot as the bread can turn soggy if prepared in advance.