Classic Chocolate Fudge Brownies
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4th tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder (I used Dutch processed – Hintz)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup melted butter (I substituted it with refined vegetable oil)
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
1. Sift the flour with baking powder & salt and set aside. In a little flour roll the walnut pieces so that they dont sink to the bottom of the cake (thumb rule when you use nuts in any cake)
2. In a bowl mix the cocoa powder and melted butter (or oil)
3. In another bowl beat the eggs lightly along with the sugar (which I powdered using a dry grinder). Add the vanilla extract and mix well till incorporated.
4. Add the eggs & sugar mixture to the cocoa butter mixture and mix well.
5. Add the flour in parts and mix well
6. Grease an 8″ square cake tin and line it with parchment paper. Pour the prepared mixture into the tin and bake in a preheated oven (see note) at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or till the cake is risen. You can do the skewer test to check if the cake is done, but since brownies usually have a sticky goey texture in the centre and they will continue to cook even after the tin has been removed from the oven. So unless your skewer/knife comes out with uncooked batter, consider your brownies done!
Note: I bake my cakes in an OTG (Oven Toaster Grill) also known as the Toaster Oven outside India. If you have a very basic model like I have (I own a Bajaj OTG 1602T) preheat on Bake mode (lower elements get heated) for 7-8minutes and then place the tin on the centre rack and bake for the required time.