Chicken & Ricotta Cheese Curry
Prep time: 15mins | Cook time 15-20mins | Serves 4
- 1 kg boneless chicken
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 2 inch piece ginger finely chopped
- 6 cardamoms
- 1 inch stick of cinnamon
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup curds/yogurt (well beaten)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (substitute with unsour low fat curds)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 6 (or to taste) dried red chillies * see notes
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (optional
- 2 – 3 tbsp ghee or oil
- salt to taste
- mint leaves to garnish
1. Wash and cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. Drain excess water & keep aside.
2. Heat ghee or oil in a wide based saucepan and fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes till they are golden on both sides. Remove & keep aside.
3. In the same pan (add a little ghee/oil if required) toss in the red chillies, cinnamon, cardamoms, chopped onions, ginger, dried fenugreek leaves and fry on a slow flame till the onions have softened (almost golden). Add the ricotta cheese, salt to taste and mix well to combine. Add the chicken, cream, yogurt and raisins and bring the curry to a boil on a medium high flame. Continue to cook for 10mins. Adjust salt & spice – add the red chilli powder if required.
4. Garnish with mint leaves and serve hot with basmati rice or chapathis