Bhapa Doi ~ Steamed (or Baked) Yogurt Dessert
Prep time: 5 mins (plus 1 hour if you are making hung curd at home) | Baking time: 30 mins | Servings: 6
- 3/4th – 1 cup whole milk * see notes
- 1 cup (300 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup hung curds/Greek yogurt * see notes
- 2 pods of cardamom, husked and powdered
- 6 oven safe (ceramic/glass/earthenware) ramekins/moulds of minimum 150ml capacity each
1. To make 1 cup of hung curds place 1-1/2 cups of thick curds in a bowl lined with thin muslin/cheesecloth. Wrap up the contents together in a bundle and hang it over the kitchen sink (or any height with a bowl underneath to collect the dripping liquid) – for about 45mins – 1 hour. While the excess liquid will dribble away you will be left with a thick curd. Use as directed.
2. Depending on how sour the curds is you can adjust the quantity of milk upto 1 cup. Try to use fresh curds that is not sour at all or the dessert won’t taste very good.
3. This dessert is pretty sweet and dense. You can adjust the sweetness by adding only 3/4th cup of condensed milk instead of 1 cup. Baking time may vary according to the modifications made to the recipe so keep an eye out and check the dessert for doneness after 25mins
4. If you wish to steam this dessert instead of baking it, then just bring water to boil in a steamer (idli steamer) and when the water comes to a rolling boil with steam escaping the pan, place the ramekins instide and cover the mouths with some foil. Steam for 25-30 mins or till the knife inserted comes out clean. You may require to top up the boiling water from time to time. If there isn’t sufficient steam the dessert won’t cook properly.
Recipe Credit: Sanjeev Kapoor