Baked Portobello Mushrooms
Prep time: 20mins | Bake time: 15mins | Serves 6
- 6 large Portobello Mushrooms
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons minced chicken (pre-boiled) *see note for substitutes
- 3 tablespoons chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons carrots finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- grated cheddar & mozzarella cheese – as much as you wish to add
- freshly crushed peppercorns
- barbeque spice mix if required or any mixed herbs – add to taste
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- fresh coriander or parsley – to garnish
- salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Line a baking sheet/tray with baking parchment (optional) or simply grease it with butter or Pam baking spray.
2. Make a mixture of the boiled chicken mince, spinach, carrots, garlic, peppercorns, barbeque spice mix or mixed herbs, lime juice, salt to taste.
3. Remove the stems & clean the mushrooms. Finely chop the stems and add it to the mixture.
4. Fill each mushroom with the prepared mixture, carefully break an egg in the center, taking care to see that the yolk doesn’t break. Cover generously with grated cheese and sprinkle mixed herbs or garnish with fresh coriander or parsley or olives & carrot cubes on a toothpick (as seen in the picture).
5. Place the mushrooms on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. You may change the oven setting to ‘grill’/’broil’ mode for the last 2-3 minutes just to get the mushrooms beautifully browned on top.
Instead of minced chicken you may use fried bacon bits, finely chopped sausages or crumbled paneer