After all the festive binge eating my taste buds have begun to crave for something simple, light and nutritious. I have decided to incorporate salads into our daily diet and I am on the look out for light eats in the form of salads – raw or with a few cooked ingredients. I came across this salad at a beach resort in Oman last year. The buffet counter had a huge spread of salads out of which this particular one caught my fancy. It was tuna shreds paired with crunchy, refreshing and delicious bell peppers. A few onions were tossed in along with basic season and it made for a delightful eat.
I knew that I had to recreate it once I got back home and I did. Since I struggle to feed my son fish (he hates it) this was a perfect way to get him some seafood nutrition. Initially he was very hesitant to try it but did in the end and loved it. I think canned tuna tastes pretty ok as compared to the fresh one which tends to have a fishy smell to it.
This recipe requires you to add bell peppers of different colours but if you can find just two – the commonly found green and another colour like red or yellow it works just fine. Last Friday on my visit to the local Farmers Market I found four colours – green, yellow, red and orange and I knew what I was going to make out of them.
If you want to make the salad more interesting you can add cherry tomatoes and reduce the amount of lime juice or skip it totally in that case as the cherry tomatoes will lend the tang. Add other seasoning of your choice if you wish but seriously, you should just leave this salad alone. Let the juiciness and crunch of the peppers overtake you!
A quick, easy and delicious tuna salad that you can put together in very little time. Makes for a nutritious meal by itselfPrint Pin Rate
- 1 tin (170 gms) of white tuna in oil (120 gms when drained)
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 small or 1 medium sized onion
- juice of 1/2 a small lime adjust to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Wash and chop the peppers into small cubes. Finely slice the onion – mix everything together in a bowl (add the onions only if you are serving the salad immediately)
- Drain off the oil from the canned tuna and shred it lightly. Add to the chopped peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything, taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
The nutritional values are only indicative.
Tried this recipe?Please leave a comment & rate the recipe below or share a photo on Instagram and tag me @ruchikrandhap