Oats has pretty much been a new entrant into my life. Never ate it during my growing up years as eating oats for breakfast wasn’t a thing back then. We greatly relied on our dosas & idlis to provide us with our daily carbs and that was about it. Perhaps since the time we came to Dubai we got a little more health conscious and I would occasionally make porridge for the hubby who loved it. I’d like to make it clear that switching to oats doesn’t necessarily mean that you are eating healthy or you will lose those extra kilos magically. These are marketing gimmicks that we must be aware of. What will make us healthier is conscious eating, portion control, lots of exercise and knowing that the best way to keep your weight in check is to remember the calories-in Vs calories-out thumb rule. Only eat as much as you can burn in a day. Now, wait! Do I follow all this? Sigh! I try to and I wish I could follow every rule in the book but like everyone else, I falter when it comes to taking care of myself! Anyway, let’s leave that conversation for another day.
So ever since I tried savoury versions of oats I have been hooked on to them. Sharing at least one recipe right away is a must then, no? So first up is this super yum garlicky-mushroom-spinach oat recipe that is very easy to put together. I made it with regular Quaker quick cooking (not instant) oats. The spinach & mushrooms add a nice taste to it but you really can skip them or use either one of them. If you like eating eggs for breakfast you can even fry one and use it as a topping. What’s your favourite way to eat oats?
Save this recipe on Pinterest and do follow me there!
Savoury Oats with Mushrooms & Spinach
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms (about 4-5 medium sized ones)
- 1/2 cup shredded spinach (about 3-4 large leaves)
- 1 small onion ,finely chopped
- 2 fat cloves of garlic ,minced
- 1/3 cup quick cooking oats (gluten free if you wish) (not instant oats)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or regular milk for a non-vegan version)
- 1/2 cup water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons coconut oil or ghee for a non-vegan version
- Heat the coconut oil or ghee in a small wok or pan and fry the minced garlic for a few seconds. Then add the onions and fry until translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and the shredded spinach and saute for about 2 minutes or till the spinach wilts. Then reserve about a tablespoon of the mixture to garnish.
- Add the oats and continue to saute for another 3-4 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the coconut milk, water, salt & pepper to taste and cook the oats over a medium-low heat until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes
- Serve into a bowl and garnish with the reserved mushroom & spinach mixture. Enjoy piping hot!
The nutritional values are only indicative.
Leave a Reply