- 500 gms chicken (preferably boneless cut into small cubes)
- 1 Stick cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 pod cardamom
- 2 Sliced onions
- 2 Green chillies slit
- 1 Inch ginger chopped
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 7-8 Peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp (or 1/2 tsp turmeric powder)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 Sprig curry leaves
- 1 Small potato cubed
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 300ml Coconut milk
1. In a cooker heat oil & fry the cinnamon, cloves & cardamom till you get a nice aroma
2. Add onion and fry a bit & toss in the curry leaves.
3. Introduce the green chillies, peppercorns, ginger & garlic and fry
4. Add turmeric & garam masala and coriander powders
5. Add the potatoes, carrots and tomatoes. Stir it a bit
6. Add the chicken pieces and stir for about a minute.
7. Add the coconut milk. Add salt to taste
8. Close the lid of the cooker & add the weight.
9. When you hear the hissing sound (which starts when the cooker is heated for about 2mins) switch off the flame
10. If the whistle does go off, do not worry, slowly try to loosen the weight to release the steam or place cooker under running tap water.
11. Open the lid & stir ingredients well to avoid curdling of the coconut milk. Close lid and reopen after 30 seconds.
12. Serve hot with appams or steaming white rice
Note: The suggestion to switch off the flame before the whistle goes off is just to ensure that ingredients such as potatoes and tomatoes do not get over cooked (if you have cut them real small)