Peri Peri Chicken Livers ~ Cheat’s Recipe
- 500 grams chicken livers
- 125 ml bottle of Nandos Garlic Peri Peri Sauce or substitute with the flavour, level of heat as per your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 fat cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-2 tablespoons of water to adjust the thickness of the gravy
- oil for shallow frying
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut the chicken livers into two pieces (they are usually two parts joined together – break the joints and cut each part into two). Wash in a couple of changes of water and drain on a colander for a few minutes. Then marinate them with the salt and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15 minutes boil the marinated livers in hot water for about 3-4 minutes. There will be some froth/foam on top so remove the liver pieces carefully and set aside. Discard the water.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the liver pieces by tossing the pan until they harden a bit and turn brownish. Don’t stir too much as they may crumble. Remove onto a plate.
- To the same pan add some extra oil and fry the garlic. Add the butter and the peri peri sauce and simmer for a minute. Reduce the heat completely and add the milk slowly to the simmering paste and stir continuously till the sauce thickens. Do not cover the pan or cook the sauce on a high heat as the milk will curdle quickly. Add a few tablespoons of water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot with Portuguese bread or dinner rolls.
The nutritional values are only indicative.
Leave a Reply