Peri Peri Chicken Livers ~ Cheat’s Recipe
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time 10 mins | Serves 2-3
- 500 grams chicken livers
- 125 ml bottle of Nandos Garlic Peri Peri Sauce (or substitute with the flavour, level of heat as per your taste)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 fat cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon fresh cream,whisked till smooth & lump free (optional but recommended)
- 1-2 tablespoons of water (to adjust the thickness of the gravy)
- oil for shallow frying
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Cut the chicken livers into two pieces (they are usually two parts joined together – break the joints and cut each part into 2). Wash in a couple of changes of water and drain on a colander for a few minutes. Then marinate them with the salt and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes boil the marinated livers in hot water for about 3-4 minutes. There will be some froth/foam on top so remove the liver pieces carefully and set aside. Discard the water.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry the liver pieces by tossing the pan until they harden a bit and turn brownish. Don’t stir too much as they may crumble. Remove onto a plate.
4. To the same pan add some extra oil and fry the garlic. Add the butter and the peri peri sauce and simmer for a minute. Add half a cup of milk slowly to the simmering paste and stir continuously till the sauce thickens. Add a few tablespoons of water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
5. Add the fried chicken pieces and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot with Portuguese bread or dinner rolls.
Depending on the livers and the type of sauce used the colour of the gravy could vary from a pale orange to almost greyish black – this however will not affect the taste of the dish.