Pajey Madipula ~ Rice Rolls Steamed in Banana Leaves
- 1 cup boiled rice
- salt to taste
1. Wash the rice in a couple of changes of water and soak it in plenty of water for 3-4 hours. Drain the water.
2. Grind the rice along with the salt to a super fine paste using water sparingly. You should get a thick, fine batter that is almost as smooth in texture as toothpaste
3. Wash the banana leaves and pat them dry. Cut the leaves into big enough squares (the size depends on whether your steaming equipment can comfortably accommodate them without being folded). Keep aside
4. Place sufficient water in a steamer and bring it to a rolling boil.
5. Keep a small bowl of water handy to dab your fingers. Spread out portions of the batter in as thin a layer as possible. Then roll each leaf square as if you roll a mattress. Place seam side down in the steamer. Cover all the rolls with a thin muslin cloth so that the steam drops don’t fall on them to make them soggy
6. Cover the pan and steam for 18-20 minutes. Remove the rolls and let them cool completely before unrolling them to serve.
7. Serve with any veg or non veg curry of your choice.