Mogem Losun Miri
- 350 grams field marrow (mogem/velleri/southekayi)
- 1/2 onion finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon jaggery (or to taste)
- salt to taste
For the masala
- 4 long dry red chillies, preferably Bedgi variety
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 1-1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-1/2 medium onion
- 4 flakes of garlic with skin
- 1 marble size ball of tamarind or 1 level tsp tamarind paste
- For the seasoning/tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 3 cloves garlic with skin, crushed
- 2 -3 tsp oil, preferably coconut oil
- 4-5 curry leaves/karipatta
- Wash the the field marrow and cut it into half and then quarters, remove the pith & seeds and then cut into small cubes. Keep aside.
- Using a little water, grind all the ingredients mentioned in 'For the masala' to a fine paste
- In a wok or pan add the masala, 1-1/2 cups of water, cubed field marrow, sliced onion, jaggery and salt to taste. Mix and bring the gravy to a boil. Reduce the flame to a medium low and cook till the field marrow is tender but firm.
- For the seasoning - heat oil in a small pan and toss in the mustard, when it stops spluttering add the crushed garlic and pour this seasoning into the curry. Cover the pan immediately to retain the fragrance of the seasoning. Turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice
The nutritional values are only indicative.
Leave a Reply