Prep time: 15 mins | Proofing time: 1 hr + 45 mins | Baking time: 10 mins | Yield: 16 small buns
- 225 grams (8 oz) all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams (2 oz) caster sugar
- 75 ml (5 tablespoons) warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) sunflower oil
- 50 grams (2 oz) butter, melted
- Icing (confectioners) sugar for dusting
2. Place the yeast in a small bowl and pour the warm milk over it. Cover with cling wrap and keep in a warm place till the yeast froths up, about 10 minutes. Then pour this mixture into the flour mixture .
3. Beat the egg and oil together and add it to the flour mixture and mix until it forms a ball.
4. Tip the dough ball onto a clean surface dusted with flour and knead for 8-10 minutes or until nice and smooth.
5. Place the dough ball in a bowl greased with oil. Cover with cling film and keep in a warm place till doubled in volume, for about 1 hour
6. Grease two baking trays with oil and keep it ready. Place the melted butter on a plate.
7. Punch out the excess air from the dough and divide it into 16 equal pieces.
8. Roll each of the 16 pieces of dough into smooth, round balls and then shape them into a sausage. Place your index fingers in the centre of the sausages and roll outwards to form ropes about 14-15 inches long
9. Roll the ropes in the melted butter then place them in spirals on the greased baking trays. Tuck in the loose ends under the spiral. Cover lightly with cling wrap and let the spirals rise for another 45 minutes.
10. Preheat oven to 190 C. Gently brush the tops of the spirals with water and then dust with a little icing sugar.
11. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden on top. Remove and let the ensaimadas cool on a wire rack. Dust more icing sugar and serve.Let’s take a look at what my fellow bakers have baked for this month’s Family Feast Breads event:
- Butterflake Rolls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cardamom Fig Braid from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Challah Bread from la cocina de Aisha
- Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Buns from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken in a Blanket from Sneha’s Recipe
- Classic Dinner Rolls from A Baker’s House
- Cloverleaf Rolls from En La Cocina de Caro
- Cranberry & Orange Spice Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Eggless Coconut Pineapple Quick Bread from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Edible Bread Basket from Passion Kneaded
- Mallorcan Ensaimadas from Ruchik Randhap
- Meyer Lemon & Cranberry Einkorn Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Pear Pie Cinnamon Rolls from From Gate to Plate
- Poppy Seed Coiled Challah from Bakingyummies
- Poppyseed Roll from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Povitica from Spiceroots
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls from Cook’s Hideout
- Pumpkin Yeast Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Rose-shaped Buns from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Savory Cheddar Honey Butter Rolls from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Simple High Fibre Baguettes from What Smells So Good?
- Smoked Cheddar Caramelized Onion Dinner Rolls from Noshing With The Nolands
- Sweet Dumpling Squash Drop Biscuits from Magnolia Days
- Thanksgiving Wreath Braided Bread Centerpiece from Pastry Chef Online
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.