Since neither my balnti posteli (live in ayah/nurse) nor my mum, MIL or close relatives knew the botanical name of Kaljire I had a tough job ahead of me. After hours (spread across days) of searching on the net I finally found a few pictures that told me that I was on the right path. Do note that Kalijiri is NOT to be confused with Kala-Jeera (black cumin which belongs to the cumin family)
The botanical names and gyan is as below:
- Purchase this ingredient only from renowned ayurvedic shops that have the license to sell medicinal herbs and ingredients. Ensure that packaging contains name of ingredients printed on it. When in doubt, do not purchase.
- If you have any medical condition/are undergoing treatment avoid having it or consult your doctor prior to consuming it.
Kaljiryaso Kasai / Kalijiri (Ironweed) Decoction
Prep time: Nil | Brewing time: 10-12 mins | Serves 1
- 1 tablespoons of kaljeera / Ironweed
- 2 cups of water
1. In a pan bring two cups of water to a boil. Coarsely powder or pound the iron weed and add it to the boiling water and simmer until the liquid reduces to approximately one cup.
2. Remove from flame. Cool and consume – preferably on an empty stomach (early morning). Munch on a piece of palm jaggery to help negate the bitter taste.