Do check out the video of how to make this delicacy! I hope you enjoy it!
If you liked this video please do subscribe to my channel! Also, like, share & comment on it! It will really really motivate me to shoot more videos! If you’d like to reach out to me, please email me at email@example.com
- 1 kg (4 cupfresh Jackfruit pods cleaned & roughly chopped * see notes
- 1 cup boiled rice Ukdo in Konkani/Ukda in Hindi
- 1/3 rd cup raw rice Surai in Konkani - you can use Kollam/Basmati rice
- 120 -175 grams powdered jaggery - adjust to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 th cup grated coconut only for the Gariyo
- rice flour to thicken the batter as required
- Wash & soak the rice in sufficient water for at least 3 hours. Remove the seed from each pod and retain the seeds (to be used in curries). Roughly chop the jackfruit pieces.
- After 3 hours completely drain the rice and grind it along with the jackfruit pieces, jaggery, pinch of salt and pepper powder to a fine paste. The batter should be thick & dryish like dosa batter. The moisture in the jackfruit is enough to get the grinding going & hassle free.
- Add the grated coconut to the batter (without grindinor you can even grind it if you wish.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a deep heavy bottomed pan. When it has heated sufficiently (not smoking hot - but passes the drop tesreduce the flame to medium high & gently put about two tablespoons of batter at a time (lime sizeinto the oil. Fry the fritters by tossing them gently so all the sides are uniformly cooked, till the outsides look golden brown. Remove before they turn black - they should have the colour of gulab jamoons.
- Place on an absorbent kitchen towel to drain off the excess oil.
- Serve hot with a cup of hot tea. They taste best when they are slightly cooled as you can get to taste the sweetness of the Jackfruit with the hint of Jaggery & Coconut. Gariyos keep well for 4-5 days in an airtight box.
The jackfruit pods should be cleaned of the seed & pith and then weighed. I have used 1 kg of cleaned and ready to eat jackfruit pods. However you may adjust the amount of fruit used according to your taste and according to the sweetness of the fruit.