Eggless & delicious, these whole wheat & choco chip cookies are a perfect snack to curb your mid day hunger pangs!
- 250 grams 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 150 grams 1 cup salted butter (I used Amul) * see notes
- 150 grams 1-1/4 cups soft brown sugar * see notes
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 th teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams 1/2 cup chocolate chips plus extra to decorate (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
Line two large baking trays with baking parchment. Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add salt too if you are using unsalted butter.
In a bowl beat the sugar and the butter until well incorporated. Add in the flour in parts and mix with a spatula.
Add just enough milk to form a soft dough (don't exceed 4 tablespoons as it will turn too mushy and won't come off your hands). Toss in the chocolate chips and mix everything well.
Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Scoop portions of dough using a tablespoon and lightly roll into balls. Place them spaced well apart. If you wish place one chocolate chip on the centre of each dough ball.
Bake for 14-15 minutes or until the edges look golden brown. The centre may feel soft but as the cookies cool they will harden. Remove and let the cookies cool on the trays for 5 mins before gently transferring them onto a wire cooling rack.
Once the cookies have cooled completely (about 15mins) transfer them into an airtight container.
1. The salted butter gives the cookies a great well rounded taste as salt brings out the flavours. I love the fact that these cookies weren't too sweet. You may use unsalted butter, but do add some salt to it. 2. The soft brown sugar gives a lovely brown colour to the cookies but you may replace it with white caster sugar too.