Eggless Olive Oil, Fruit & Nut Cake
Prep time: 15 mins | Baking time: 40-45 mins | Yield: 7″ round cake
- 225 grams all purpose flour (maida)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 150 grams caster sugar * see notes
- 125 ml milk
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 150 ml olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 100 grams mixed dried fruit
- 25 grams pine kernels (or chopped walnuts or peeled almonds)
1. Grease and line a 7″ or 8″ round cake tin with baking parchment. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and pinch of salt into a bowl. Stir in the caster sugar
3. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the milk and orange juice. Use a whisk to mix everything together making sure that there are no lumps. Add in the olive oil and whisk till smooth.
4. Roll the dried fruit and nuts in a little flour and add these to the batter. Gently fold till incorporated and pour into the prepared pan and smoothen the surface using the back of a spoon or palette knife.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or till the skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Remove and place the tin over a wire rack to cool. After 10 minutes unmould and let the cake cool completely before slicing.
This recipe uses very little sugar (50grams), I increased it upto 150 grams. Do taste the batter and increase it by another 50 grams (total 200 grams caster sugar) if you like a sweeter. Do not exceed 200 grams as the cake contains mixed dried fruit which will let out some sweetness too.
Full Disclosure: I was not asked to review the book but did so at my own discretion as I enjoyed the book a lot. All opinions expressed above are my own.
Please note that this post contains an affiliate links to Amazon.in and Flipkart.com, which means that I may earn a commission when you click on the link and make a purchase. Affiliate links are provided only for products that I have used and enjoyed or firmly believe will benefit my readers as much as I have benefited from them.