Prep time: 20 mins (does not include time taken to clean the prawns) | Cooking time: 15-20 mins | Serves 4-6
- 500 grams prawns
- oil for deep frying
For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- a generous sprinkling of freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- salt to taste
For the dressing/sauce:
- 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise (add less and increase it after tasting)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh cream (add less and adjust later or leave it out completely)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce or any hot sauce (adjust according to the spice required and color)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon honey
- salt to taste
For garnish & presentation
- lettuce, gently washed and patted dry
- chopped coriander or chives
- martini (cocktail) glasses
1. Devein and clean the prawns, then pat dry.
2. Marinate them with salt, pepper lime juice and set aside for about 30 minutes
3. In a bowl, mix the corn flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and a little salt. Coat the prawns very well with this mixture and keep aside for at least 15 minutes
4. Heat oil for deep frying in a wok/kadhai and deep fry the prawns till golden. Remove onto an absorbent kitchen tissue.
5. Prepare the dressing/sauce by mixing the mayonnaise, fresh cream, sriracha or hot sauce and honey in a bowl and keep in the fridge till required.
6. When you are ready to serve, place the lettuce in the cocktail glass. Mix the sauce and the prawns together till the prawns are well coated. Place the prawns over the lettuce and top with chopped coriander or chives. Serve immediately.