These quick, easy & healthy snack bars have no added sugar and are better than the store bought ones!
- 150 grams dried apricots chopped
- 100 grams pitted prunes chopped
- 120 grams raisins chopped
- 125 ml 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 100 grams approx 3/4th cup skimmed (or regular) milk powder
- 35 grams approx 2/3rd cup or 1-1/2 slices fresh wholemeal bread, sides trimmed
- 70 grams slivered skinless almonds
- 2-3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds for sprinkling
Place all the chopped dried fruits in a heavy based saucepan and pour orange juice over it. Bring the mixture to a boil and remove the pan from heat. Let the mixture sit for 15 mins.
Add the crumbled whole meal bread, milk powder and the slivered almonds and mix well.
Sprinkle the sunflower seeds over the base of a 9x9 non stick or glass baking dish and transfer the mixture into it. Press it down with the back of a spoon and sprinkle some more sunflower seeds over it.
Cover the pan with cling film or foil and chill for 2-3 hours or till firm. Cut into bars and serve.
1. I used an assortment of dry fruits that I had handy with me. You can experiment with your choice of dry fruits like dried berries, dried mango, pineapple, kiwi etc.