In my quest to find some tasty & healthy breakfast recipes I came across Tarla Dalal’s book called ‘Healthy Breakfast’ which has many easy to prepare recipes classified under categories such as ‘Breakfast in a Jiffy’, ‘Breakfast with Planning’, ‘Breakfast using Left-overs’, ‘Healthy Drinks’and Butter & Salt substitutes. Nutritive values at the foot note of each recipe helps weight watchers & the health conscious count their calories before they eat. Hmmm, not bad at all for a person who loves her breakfast as much as her diamonds. One the most innovative recipes was the Cucumber pancakes which is easy, yummy & healthy as well. Do try it! Im sure you’l make it over & over again like I do.
Makes 8 pancakes (palm size)
For the pancakes
- 1 cup semolina (fine rawa)
- 2 cups cucumber, grated
- 2 tbsp grated jaggery (gur)
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1/4 cup low fat curds (yogurt)
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp oil for cooking
1. Combine all the ingredients except the oil and make a batter of dropping consistency using a little water
2. Divide into 8 portions
3. Heat a non-stick pan and grease it lightly with oil
4. Spread one portion on the non-stick pan to make a pancake of 3mm to 4mm thickness
5. cook one side over a slow flame until the base is golden brown in colour. Turn over to cook the other side.
6. Remove the pancake and repeat with the remaining batter to make 7 more pancakes
7. Serve hot with Nutritious Green Chutney.