Chilli Garlic Rice
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 10-12 mins | Serves 2-3
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 a bell pepper (capsicum), deseeded and cubed
- 1/4 cup carrots, grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup snow peas (or french beans), cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- oil for frying
- salt to taste
To be ground (see note#3 for alternatives)
- 3-4 long dry red chillies (adjust to taste, remove seeds to tone down spice)
- 5-6 fat cloves of garlic flakes
1. Wash the rice till the water runs clear. Soak for 15 minutes in plenty of water.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the washed and soaked rice and cook it al dente (90% cooked). Strain and spread out on a large plate. Let it cool
3. Using water sparingly (about 1-2 tablespoons) grind the ingredients mentioned under ‘To be ground‘ to a fine paste. Mix this paste into the cooked rice and keep aside
4. Heat the oil in a large wok and fry the onions till pale (translucent). Add the rest of the vegetables in this order, giving half a minute between additions – carrots, beans, capsicum, bean sprouts and cabbage. Fry everything on a high heat, tossing them about using a spatula to avoid scorching. Sprinkle a little salt.
5. When the vegetables are tender but not mushy (they should have some crunch left in them so don’t over cook or burn them!) add the rice and mix everything on a high heat. Adjust salt to taste
6. Garnish with spring onion greens if using and serve hot!
1. Add a cup of boneless chicken which has been washed, drained, marinated with salt & pepper and shallow fried in 2 tablespoons of oil. Shred it when warm enough to handle and add it to the pan and stir fry for a minute before adding the rice (step#5)
2. To make an Indo-Chinese version (like a fried rice), use sesame oil (not til oil but the oriental variety) and soy sauce to flavour it. Also, add vegetables such as bean sprouts and spring onions to finish .
3. If you wish you can use readymade or Homemade schezuan sauce. Just use 1 tablespoon or to taste (increase it later, according to taste). Skip the garlic and chillies mentioned under ‘To be ground‘ in that case
4. To make a non vegetarian version just scramble 2 eggs separately and add it once the rice has been properly mixed. You can also add pre cooked chicken (marinated in salt & pepper and boiled or shallow fried and then shredded)
Recipe adapted from 100 Rice Delights by Mallika Badrinath