Chicken & Mushrooms in Soy Sauce
Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 10-15 minutes | Serves 2-3
For the marinade:
- 450-500 grams boneless chicken, washed & cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- 2 teaspoons rice wine/dry sherry or regular wine (optional)
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock * see notes for substitute
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 2 fat cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1″ ginger, thinly sliced
- 200-250 grams (approx 2 cups when sliced) button mushrooms * see notes
1. Marinate the chicken with all the ingredients mentioned under ‘For the marinade‘ for 10-15 minutes
2. Prepare the ingredients for the sauce in another bowl.
3. Heat oil in a wok on a high heat and fry the onions, garlic and ginger for 2 minutes (till the onions turn translucent/pale). Remove and keep aside.
4. Add the marinated chicken (drained, don’t add the marinade) in the same oil and fry for 3-4 minutes on a high heat.
5. Add a little extra oil if necessary and stir fry the mushrooms for a minute. Now return the fried onion mixture to the wok and fry everything together.
6. Pour the sauce mixture and cook on a medium heat till the sauce thickens (you can add the remaining chicken marinade too).
7. Serve hot with fried rice or chicken hakka noodles or plain white rice.
1. If you don’t have homemade chicken stock you may dissolve 1-1/2 stock (bouillon cubes) in 2 cups of warm water and use that instead. However do note that stock cubes are high in salt and also have preservatives, so use your discretion and adjust the salt used for the marinade
2. If you find black mushrooms or any other kind of mushrooms used in oriental cuisine you may use those as well.