- 1 kg boneless beef cut into thin slices of approx 1-1/2 inch squares
For the marinade:
- 2-3 teaspoons red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder (adjust to taste)
- 2-3 teaspoons of oil
- 8-10 flakes of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2-3 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped
1. Marinate the beef with all the ingredients mentioned under ‘For the marinade‘ for at least 2 hours or overnight for best results.
2. Cook the meat in a pressure cooker with approx 1 cup of water till the meat is tender (we cook it for about 3 whistles and check doneness of meat – again, the cooking time depends on the tenderness of the meat). Once cooked, keep the meat aside.
3. In a large wok/kadhai/frying pan fry the onions till they are golden brown then add the curry leaves and chopped tomato and continue frying for about 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked meat to it
4. Fry the meat in this mixture on a low heat till all the water reduces to a thick gravy that coats all the meat pieces.
5. Remove from heat and serve hot
1. For this recipe sliced beef is better than cubed/meaty chunks
2. This dish tastes good only with beef as it releases a powdery mixture that helps thicken the gravy
3. Do not add too much water while cooking the meat (into the frying pan/wok/kadhai) as it will take more time to fry and in turn more time to reduce to a thick gravy.