Beans & Carrot Stir Fry
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Serves 2
- 150-200 grams french beans or cluster beans (I used a mix of both)
- 1 medium sized carrot or 3-4 baby carrots
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- a few drops of lime juice
- a pinch of sugar (optional)
- pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- oil for frying
- salt to taste
1. Wash and cut the vegetables into small pieces (beans to be sliced into small pieces and carrots to be cut into tiny cubes). Keep the carrots separate as we need to cook them first.
2. Heat oil in a pan and toss in the cumin. When they stop sizzling (take care not to burn them) add the crushed garlic and toss it for a few seconds. Next add the chopped onions
3. Fry until the onions turn golden brown, then add the turmeric powder, hing and the chopped carrots and stir fry for a few minutes. Then add the bean mixture and salt to taste
4. Reduce the heat and cover the pan, check in between and stir to avoid scorching. Sprinkle a few drops of water if required and the sugar if desired. Cook till the vegetables are tender.
5. Sprinkle lime juice, give it a quick mix and remove from heat.
6. Serve hot as an accompaniment to rice or chapathis.
Cluster beans is called as ‘mitgi sango’ in Konkani and ‘gavar’ in Hindi