Prep time: 5-10 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Serves: 2-3
- 1 cup barley
- 2 cups water or stock (chicken or vegetable, freshly boiled * see notes
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 fat cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2-3/4 th cup boneless chicken pre boiled & shredded * optional
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil (or any other oil)
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Wash the barley in a couple of changes of water till the water runs clear. Keep aside.
2. In a pressure cooker, heat the oil and toss in the garlic and fry for a few seconds. Add in the chopped onions and fry till they turn pale.
3. Add the chopped carrots, celery and mushrooms and fry for half a minute. Add the washed barley and mix. Toss in the chopped coriander and chicken if using
4. Add the freshly boiled water or stock and adjust seasoning (salt & pepper to taste). Add the lime juice too.
5. Cover the pressure cooker and place the weight (whistle). Cook on full heat for 2 whistles and then turn off the heat. Let the cooker cool down to room temperature (whistle should be loose enough to be removed)
6. Open the cooker and fluff up the grains. If the grains feel a little tough and there is still some liquid/moisture left, cover the cooker and heat it for another 5 minutes on sim (very low heat so that the whistle doesn’t go off) and let the cooker cool down once again to room temperature before opening it.
7. Serve hot with yogurt or any veg or non veg curry of your choice.
1. If you are using stock, make sure it is homemade and free of preservatives – this is to ensure that you make it as healthy as possible.