Prep time: 10 mins | Bake time: 1 hour
- 1 + 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (I used a mix of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar (I used dark brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil (I used melted butter)
- 3 large very ripe bananas, mashed (or 1-1/4 cup mashed banana – about 6-7 fat elaichi bananas)
- 2 tbsp sour cream (I used hung curd)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease a 8×4 inch loaf pan with butter and dust with flour (you may also line it with parchment paper.
2. Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt) twice. In a large bowl beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add the oil/melted butter and continue to beat.
3. Add the mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture and add the chocolate chips and most of the nuts, save a handful to garnish the top of the loaf.
4. Pour batter into the prepared pan, sprinkle nuts over top and bake about 55-60 mins or till the toothpick inserted comes out clean
1. This recipe calls for regular white granulated sugar, I used dark muscovado which I wanted to finish up and hence the darker shade of brown.
2. To make 2 tbsp hung curd, place about 4 tbsp of thick yogurt in a muslin cloth and hang it from a height for about 30-45mins until all the whey dribbles away. What remains is a thick cream which can be substituted for sour cream