- 1 kg chicken thighs with skin on (approx 11-12 thighs without the drumsticks)
- bacon rashers/streaky bacon one or two per thigh, depending on the length of the rashers * see notes
- chopped dill or coriander to garnish
- zest and juice of 1 medium sized orange
- zest and juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 4-5 fat cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plain red chilli powder adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano or any dried herb
- salt to taste add moderately as the bacon is salty too
- Wash and drain the chicken thighs. Pat dry. Wrap each piece with one or two bacon rashers to form a criss-cross pattern. Secure the ends with a toothpick. Place them in an oven-proof dish.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under 'For the marinade' and dip each bacon wrapped piece of chicken in it thoroughly and return it to the baking dish. Pour any remaining marinade over the pieces. Sprinkle chopped herbs, cover with cling wrap and keep aside for at least 1-2 hours or overnight for best results.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C and bake for 18-20 minutes per side. Poke with a fork to check if the meat is tender. Pour the sauce over the pieces as you go. Then place the pieces with the criss-cross facing up, change the oven setting to 'grill' mode and let the top brown for 2-3 minutes before removing.
- Remove the toothpicks and serve hot with roasted baby potatoes, mashed potatoes or rice on the side.
1. You can use turkey bacon if the regular variety is unavailable. Most bacon rashers are long enough to help wrap the chicken thigh in a criss cross manner 2. Preferably use chicken thighs with the skin on as it keeps the chicken juicy. 3. Bacon is available at Waitrose (The Dubai Mall), Spinney's and West Zone supermarkets. You can buy Turkey bacon from Carrefour (Mall of the Emirates, Mirdiff City Centre)
Recipe adapted from The Complete Creative Cookbook