I am part of a food group on Facebook that hosts weekly recipe challenges and this week’s challenge is different type of paratha recipes. I am so looking forward to all the delicious recipes that the members are going to upload this week. The credit for this recipe goes to one of the members – Reshma Chander who shares some fabulous recipes on the group. Thank you so much Reshma!!
Prep time: 15mins | Cooking time: 15mins | Makes 6-7 parathas | Serves : 2-3 people
For the dough
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup blend of flours (I used maize flour & soya flour)
- 1/2 cup (approx) warm water to knead
- salt to taste
For the filling
- 2 (smallish) medium sized potatoes boiled, skinned & mashed
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 small green chillies finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (packed) coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 pinch red chilli powder
- 1 pinch cumin/jeera powder
- 1/4 tsp amchur (dry mango) powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- salt to taste
1. In a wide bowl add the flours and salt and mix well. Use half the water and incorporate. Keep adding the water and knead into a smooth pliable dough ball. Cover and keep aside for at least 20-30minutes – this helps in achieving an soft elastic dough.
2. In another bowl blend all the ingredients mentioned under ‘For the filling‘. Mix well and keep aside. You can make 8-10 lime sized portions/balls and keep it ready.
3. Dust a dry working surface/wooden board with a little flour. Pinch out 8-10 medium sized portions from the dough. Roll one into a smooth ball and flatten it on the board with a rolling pin into a medium poori size. Place the ball of filling in the centre of the dough leaving enough gap on the sides. Pinch the sides into a ‘potli’ and gently flatten. Dust extra flour if necessary and roll out carefully into a medium sized paratha.
4. Heat a tawa/skillet and fry the paratha till golden brown on both sides applying ghee or oil as necessary.
5. Serve hot with thick curd/yogurt or apply cheese spread or mayonnaise and serve as a roll.