Sometime last month I found an abundance of broad beans in almost every supermarket I visited. I had never cooked them before and since I always like to try out new ingredients, I picked some. We loved them so much that I made them twice since then. This dish is pretty easy to make with just the basic spices and some potatoes tossed in and goes really well with chapathis.
More stories will come up shortly 🙂 I’ve been reaaaaally busy over the past few days, so do stay tuned!
Aloo Papdi Sabzi
This simple vegan side dish made of broad beans and potatoes tastes very good when paired with chapathis or ricePrint Pin Rate
- 500 grams broad beans/vaal papdi/sem
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 pearl onions ,finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder ,adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur ,dry mango powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
- Wash the beans thoroughy and string them from both sides. Cut them into 1/4 inch pieces. Peel and cube the potatoes into pretty much the same size as the broad beans.
- Heat oil in a broad based pan/kadai and toss in the cumin seeds. When the stop spluttering add the chopped onions and fry them till translucent (pink).
- Now reduce the heat completely and add the powders, give it a quick stir and add the potatoes and stir for a few seconds. Add in the broad beans and salt to taste. Cover and cook on sim till the potatoes are done. Do not add any water, the vegetables will cook in the steam.
- Make sure to stir the mixture every now and then so that the veggies don’t get scorched. Serve hot with rice or chapathis
The nutritional values are only indicative.
Tried this recipe?Please leave a comment & rate the recipe below or share a photo on Instagram and tag me @ruchikrandhap