Ragi Shevai Usli ~ Seasoned Finger Millet String Hoppers
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 5 mins | Serves: 2-3
- 200 grams dried ragi string hoppers (or rice or wheat vermicelli)
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- salt and sugar to taste
For the tempering:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 small green chilli, finely chopped (deseed if you wish to reduce spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon black gram dal (urad dal)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
1. First prepare the noodles. The cooking time may differ according to the kind of noodles you are using (wheat, ragi or rice) so follow the instructions on the packet. The brand I was using called for the ragi noodles to be soaked for exactly 3 minutes in plain water at room temperature. Then drain the water and spread out the noodles on a steel plate that fits inside the steamer. Steam for exactly 5 mins and remove. Fluff up with a fork and keep aside.
2. In a heavy based kadhai heat the oil and toss in the mustard seeds and when they stop spluttering, add the curry leaves, green chillies and the urad dal. When the dal turns golden in colour add the chopped onions and fry till they turn pink (translucent)
3. Add the steamed ragi noodles, salt and sugar to taste and the grated coconut. Mix until everything is well incorporated. Adjust seasoning as required.