Phova Chetni | Pova Chutney
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: Nil | Serves 2-3
- 2 or 2-1/2 cups thin beaten rice (flattened rice) * see notes
- 2 cups freshly grated coconut * see notes
- 1 small onion finely chopped (optional)
- 2-1/2 tablespoons sambhar powder (I used Nayak’s) * see notes
- 2-1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar or jaggery
- salt to taste (about 1/2 – 3/4th teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 2-3 sprigs (about 15-18) curry leaves
- 2-3 teaspoons oil
1. Most shops sell thicker version of flattened rice which is has short and thick flakes – this is used in the preparation of Maharashtrian style Poha (see recipe) and hence is not suitable. Ask for the one which is called as thin/pathla poha or even chivda poha may be used (chivda is a dry snack using beaten rice flakes, peanuts, raisins etc)
2. If you are using frozen grated coconut, microwave it for 20 seconds and bring it to room temperature.
3. For a Mangalorean touch try using a Mangalorean brand of sambhar powder or home made blend if possible.