A few months ago the hubby made this wonderful dish. He is a pro at recreating flavours enjoyed at restaurants and the nihari has been his all time favourite. A few years ago I had shared the recipe of Nalli Nihari – mutton slowly cooked in a blend of spices and it was well received by many readers who tried it. Now I am sharing the recipe of the same dish which can be made in a pressure cooker in less than 45 minutes from start to finish!
The Nihari Gosht is a very rich dish that is apt for the festive season if you are looking to make something different. The gravy is delicately spiced and silky, making it a perfect accompaniment to rice or chapathis or even bread. We enjoyed it with some vegetable pulao and it was a super delicious meal.
What I loved about this dish is that it is extremely flavourful without being overpowering and can be made in a jiffy without compromising on the taste. Yes, slow cooked meat always tastes better but pressure cooking meat can be a huge time saver. If you have an instant pot you could try making this dish in it and see how you like it. Do let me have your feedback on it! Write in to [email protected]! I’ll be waiting to hear from you!
Click the image below to save this recipe on Pinterest
New here? Subscribe to my free newsletters with my latest recipes!
If you give this recipe a try do leave a comment on this post down below and don’t forget to give it a star rating! It will really help more readers discover my recipes! Don’t forget to check out my latest videos on my YouTube channel. If you like what you see, do give me a thumbs-up (like), share & comment and subscribe to my channel so that the gods of YouTube (a.k.a algorithms) recommend my channel to a wider audience with similar tastes and more & more people can discover my videos!
And while you’re here, do follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. If you’d like to say hello or have detailed queries do send an email at [email protected]. I’d love to hear from you!
Nihari Gosht | Mutton Nihari
- Pressure Cooker
- 500-600 grams kg lamb/goat shanks
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1-1/2 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken or mutton stock or 1 stock cube dissolved in 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3-4 teaspoons nihari masala powder
- 1 inch ginger cut into thin strips for garnishing
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped for garnishing
- salt to taste
- In a pressure cooker heat the ghee and fry the onions till they are well browned.
- Add the lamb shanks and fry along with the nihari masala power till the meat becomes nice and brown.
- Add the stock or water in which the stock cube has been dissolved. Adjust salt to taste and pressure cook for 7-8 whistles. Turn off the heat and let the cooker cool down till the whistle (weight) comes off easily.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and garnish with ginger strips and coriander leaves and serve hot with plain parathas (made of maida) or Kerala Parota/Plain Rice/Pulao/Bread
The nutritional values are only indicative.