Kolache Ambe | Meetak Ghalle Ambe ~ Raw Mangoes in Brine
Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Yield : 3 jam jars
- 3-4 medium big (650-800 grams) raw mangoes
- 4 cups water
- 8 tablespoons table salt
Other things you will need:
3-4 jam jars, washed and sterilized * see notes
1.Wash the mangoes thoroughly and pat them dry. Remove the stalk and clean the sap if any
2. Cut the sides of the mangoes (cheeks), remove the tender seed if formed and discard. Cut the fleshy portion into medium thick slices
3. In a steel pan, bring the water to a boil, add the salt and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the salt solution cool properly.
4. Place the mango slices in the clean jars and pour the now cooled salt solution into them. The salt solution should always be above the level of the mangoes or else they will spoil fast.
5. Fasten the jars with the lids and keep them in a cool, dry place of your kitchen. Refrigeration will increase the shelf life of the brined raw mangoes. Use as required as a souring agent in curries, dals and chutneys (always use clean and dry spoons to take out the pieces from the jar)
1. Use absolutely raw and firm mangoes for this as the stone (seed) is not yet formed or is very tender.
2. To sterilize glass jars you can wash them clean and place them in the sun to dry or in a preheated oven of 150 degrees C for 12-15 minutes.
3. I use 2 tablespoons of table salt for every 1 cup of water, you can increase the salt if you wish to 3 tablespoons per cup. I used less because that way I can control the amount of salt used according to the dish I am making with the mangoes in brine. You can also use sea salt for this purpose but since it will be more granular, you may require lesser quantity of it per cup
4. If you have limited clean jars you can chop up the mangoes so that they take lesser space (cutting them into slices will take up more space). Whichever way you cut them, make sure that the level of salt solution is always above the level of the chopped mangoes or else it will spoil quickly.