Easy Tomato Saar/Soup
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 5-10 mins | Serves: 4
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium-big onion, finely chopped
- 2 soup cubes (bouillon)
- 1 or 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped coriander
- freshly ground pepper to taste or 1-/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Mangalorean Stew Powder or Bafat powder
- 2-3 teaspoons oil
- salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions till they turn pale (translucent). Do not brown them or they will taste sweet.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry well. Add the bouillon cubes as they will speed up the frying process. If you are going to use stock, then add salt instead of the bouillon cubes.
3. When the tomatoes have turned mushy add the water (or stock if using). Bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Adjust consistency of the saar by adding more water if required.
4. Add the ground pepper or stew powder or bafat powder to taste. Throw in the chopped coriander and give the mixture one boil.
5. Remove from heat and serve hot!
1. If you have ready made/homemade clear stock (chicken or vegetable) you can use that instead of using plain water. In this case don’t use the bouillon cubes and also adjust salt as required.