Lip smacking macaroni tastes super yum with some cheese. Perfect for little ones!
- Easy Cheesy Macaroni
- 1/2 cup dried macaroni or any pasta of your choice
- 1/2 a small onion finely chopped
- 1 big clove of garlic finely chopped or grated
- 2-3 tablespoons of pre boiled shredded chicken or 4-5 mushrooms quartered
- 1/3 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon all purpose flour maida
- 1/8 th cup or 2 triangles cheddar cheese (I used Kraft cheese) (use as much as you wish)
- freshly ground pepper to taste 1/4 teaspoon or just a sprinkling will do for kids aged 3 and above
- 1/2 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 slivers of sun dried tomatoes optional
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano or thyme or any dried herbs
- No salt required as the cheese has plenty of it!
Boil 2-1/2 cups of water and add the macaroni to it. Add a pinch of salt and 2-3 drops of oil and cook for about 7 minutes or as per the instructions on the packet. The pasta should be al dente (90% cooked or else it will break). Strain & gently refresh with cold water and allow to drain. Add a couple of drops of oil so that the pasta doesn't stick to each other.
In a small bowl make a smooth lump free paste of the flour and warm milk.
Heat butter or oil in a non stick pan and fry the chopped onions till pale. Toss in the chopped garlic and fry for a couple of seconds. Add the shredded chicken & sun dried tomatoes and fry for half a minute. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted.
Add the flour and milk paste, reduce the flame and quickly stir to avoid lumps. Toss in the ground pepper, oregano and mix well. Do not overcook - the sauce should have a creamy consistency.
Add the pasta and mix gently. Serve immediately
If you are making this for toddlers under 3 years, use onions, garlic & pepper as per the level of spice tolerance. Skip any one or all the aforesaid ingredients and replace with extra cheese.